Friday 12 July 2013

Goodwood Racecourse




Racecourse number: 50
First visited: 2013
Number of visits:1


Goodwood is self billed as the worlds most beautiful racecourse. A bold claim indeed, but quite quickly after arrival at this grade one track it is clear the claim may have some merit. The immaculately presented parade ring and winners enclosure are only outdone by the amazing backdrop to the course which itself has impressive stands and spacious viewing areas. Truly an impressive racing set up. Thinking about it I am uncertain I have been to a more beautiful racecourse. Best in the world? Possibly.

This lovely sunny Friday evening in May began well with a winner in the last race at Catterick's afternoon meeting. A loyalty bet on one of Philip Kirby's horses Just Paul was rewarded. Earlier I had had £2 on Betfair at around 25-1. This 14-1 winner set me up for a great evenings betting.  My wife however on hearing the news of my early success was somewhat dissappointed to learn the winnings were on Betfair and not real! I can't complain too much though. Once again she had worked her magic and lined up a great deal by pre-ordering online. We saved a few pounds on entry plus received a free racecard, a £5 free tote bet and a £5 food voucher. This deal looked even better when my £5 free bet on Balmoral Castle in the amateur riders race resulted in my first Goodwood winner on course. It would not be my last. Later though I would be less thrilled with the deal when my £5 food voucher reduced my £26 bill for three burgers and a portion of chips. How much!

My betting progressed nicely. Firstly, with an odds on winner Wahaab for Richard Hannon. More enjoyably a bit later a £20 bet at 2-1 on Stock Hill Fair produced a great family winner. Selected by my five year old Jake, jockey Keiron Fallon was seen at his best when employing great front running tactics to hold off all challengers and complete a double for him on the night. The cheering from our group as Fallon held on was worth much more than the £60. It is great getting the kids involved with selecting a few horses and cheering them on. Especially on this particular night as there was no kids entertainment. We went straight down to the winners enclosure to welcome back the victorious pair. Over a month later Jake still talks about Stock Hill Fair.

This was no ordinary race meeting though and certainly no ordinary racing crowd. The majority of racegoers had come to watch Rudimental play a DJ set after racing. The first of 'Three Friday Nights' when racing and music would go hand in hand. Another growing trend at modern race meetings. Many turned up with only a race or two to go which seemed bizarre to me but totally normal to hundreds of southern party goers. By the end of racing the hardy racegoer was outnumbered four to one by the youngsters with many already quite drunk. A strange but happy atmosphere prevailed as the meeting drew to a close. We did stay to see the start of the after racing show but were disappointed both by the long wait and the dire noise that ensued. Perhaps I am showing my age but it was total crap.

The final race of the night saw a classic Stoute versus Cecil clash in a typical Goodwood middle distance maiden race. I have watched a good few of these over the years and probably hundreds on the TV or in the bookies. From the moment the declarations were made it was always my intention to back debutant Integral for Sir Michael Stoute. When the vibes about her were positive on the day she became my bet of the night. Prior to the race all the money was for the more experienced Henry Cecil trained Magic Of Reality. With two furlongs left in the race it was looking likely to be a duel between the two betting principals (Integral having gone off at a generous 4-1). Suddenly Integral burst through on the rail and delivered a very impressive and decisive turn of foot to seal the race within a matter of strides. My tally of real money and Betfair money had swelled significantly. A horse to follow for sure. Sadly this would be the the last Stoute versus Cecil classic I would see as a couple of weeks later Sir Henry would lose his battle with cancer. I remember fondly his partnership with Steve Cauthon and horses like Oh So Sharp and Bosra Sham. He had a great attention to detail and was obsessed with things like the size of horses ears. The bigger the better apparently. On a happier footnote next time out Integral stepped up to listed company and again delivered the same decisive turn of foot, this time from last to first, again at 4-1. 

Did I back her this time? Is Goodwood beautiful! A wonderful course and a brilliant evenings racing.








No comments:

Post a Comment