Saturday 6 July 2013

Fontwell Park Racecourse


Racecourse number: 49
First visited: 2013
Number of visits:1

Fontwell and in particular its figure of eight chase course had always intrigued me. I believe you can only really appreciate it and understand it by going there. I had long been confused and excited by the different camera angles, the constant turning and the final straight. The course has a really unique perspective with two different tracks merging on the approach to the finish line. Upon visiting it was the final furlong or so that was the main thing I had not fully appreciated on TV. Fontwell is mainly a flat track but there is quite a steep uphill climb to the finish to test even the hardiest of stayers. The new Premier Grandstand looked impressive but we decided not to pay the extra to use it. Partly because I wanted to experience the traditional Fontwell, including watching some races from within the track. Partly because the new stand is situated beyond the winning line, giving a poor value perspective, compared to us money savers in the old stands watching the final furlong battles side on. Partly because naturally I am a cheapskate!

The day started and ended well from a betting point of view. In the first I had a big bet for me on Jojabean at 9-4 for Alan King. He obliged quite comfortably despite some initial tentative hurdling. In the last I had a decent bet on Nicky Nutjob at 4-1 who helped send me home very happy with my gambling performance. Looking beaten as they entered the straight Nicky stayed on well up the aforementioned climb to the line to claim the prize. In between, a plethora of losers were accompanied by another winner, Full Of Joy ridden by A P McCoy. One of those many McCoy winners over the years that few others would have won on. I also had a winning bet at an away meeting, Cartmel. It really struck me as odd this day that the away meetings were Cartmel and Nottingham and I was at Fontwell! I have attended both Cartmel and Nottingham on numerous occasions when Fontwell and its unique set up would fill the gaps for me between the main live action.

The modern race meeting has many features that were unheard of when I set off on my journey around the racecourses of Great Britain in the early 1980s. Not all of them are welcome. One positive feature though, which seems to be pretty standard these days, is an expert preview discussion of the days racing. On this occasion I was privy to the thoughts of Simon Holt and Lee Mckenzie who did not disappoint. In fact they were no doubt an influence on my betting success. We were on holiday during half term and as such this midweek meeting was a family raceday.  My kids, for free, were able to enjoy a bouncy castle and some cricket fun in a happy family environment. The day was really good value. My wife had also shrewdly taken advantage of the online pre-ordering option for which we paid £10 each for the £15 tickets. The kids also really enjoyed visiting the winners enclosure after the races, especially when Dad had the winner. Twice we started the clapping for the winners arrival. Despite the patchy weather for the end of May I really enjoyed my visit to Fontwell Park. It is a great and unique course and I am certainly jealous of those on the south coast who can visit on a regular basis.


No comments:

Post a Comment